Bob Ingram's Blog

Daily thoughts from a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ

Monday, January 25, 2010

Dry? Thirsty?

Psalm 63:1
O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: My soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is.

When I turned to this Psalm this morning, the blessed Holy Spirit painted my soul with much mercy and comfort. If you think the Bible is not relevant for your life, you are not spending enough time in it.

O God, thou art my God.
I am ashamed to admit that I ever get my eyes off of God. I am amazed at the ease I can switch my attention away from God and focus on men around me. I desire to be a spiritual man but find I function easier in the flesh (not a good thing!) We all have problems and situations that challenge us on fronts that we never expected. I love one of the children's songs that talks about a poochy lip, that will trip you up. I have allowed my dissatisfaction to lower my head and my dirty shoes have trampled my poochy lip, and I was about to stumble. "BUT" This morning as I dig into the Word of God, I rejoice in the sweet unchangeable fact; I repeat with great confidence with the Psalmist, "O God, thou art my God!"

Early will I seek thee.
I hold to a literalistic view of scripture. I enjoy rising early in the day to be in fellowship with God. I stayed in bed a little longer than normal this morning, but I am watching the sun rise on the horizon and the "Son rise within my heart"

My soul thirsteth for thee,
Have you every tipped up a glass of water and then realized you were really thirsty? This morning, after a very stressful weekend, I opened the Word of God, took a big gulp of the clear refreshing water of the Holy Word, and realized my soul was dry, I had dehydrated in my spirit, I drank from the eternal well of living water. Truly I can pray to God, "My soul thirsteth for thee.

My flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, whee no water is.
I once worked for a week or two in a hay field. I remember just how dry, dusty, scratchy, and hot that job made me. We worked from sun up to sun down. Once at home I was so wore out all I wanted to do was fall into bed and rest. My parents abused me by suggesting I needed a bath before I slipped into the clean sheets of my bed, I did not want a bath, I wanted rest. My dad strongly suggested I take a bath or I could rest outside! As I allowed the water wash over me, I had a revelation I need this most of all.

God places us in some situations where we are ruffed up, and scuffed up, we wade into areas where the dirt, dust, and sweat of this dry and thirsty land clings to us making us just as stinky as those around us. I am so thankful I can wash in the Word of God and my soul is cleaned, I also know that my flesh (sinful man) can get a bath too. PRAISE GOD!

"Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing flood, are you washed in the blood of the lamb!"

No comments:

Post a Comment